When STARS crews respond to a call for a critically ill or injured patient, time is of the essence. Thanks to the i-STAT Point of Care system, a handheld portable blood analyzer, the team in the back of the helicopter is able to retrieve vital information, and then deliver care based on the results.
Here’s how it works:
- It’s like a medical laboratory in the palm of your hand. The i-STAT can test an array of lab values, such as blood gases, electrolytes and hemoglobin, using only a few drops of blood.
- The sample is processed at the patient’s side, allowing crews to deliver continual care based on actual patient lab results.
- Results are delivered in two minutes.
- The i-STAT system automatically runs quality checks to ensure the device is functioning properly each time a sample is tested.
- No wi-fi or electrical outlet is required. Battery operation means the i-STAT can go anywhere. Because it doesn’t transmit a signal, crews can even use it in the air.