More than $310,000 was raised by eight Manitoba business and community leaders at the fifth annual Rescue on the Island fundraising event for STARS air ambulance, held Thursday at a remote island site south of Pinawa.
Each individual participated in a series of challenges, including a flight readiness race, a simulated medical scenario and survival challenges. The opportunity to learn more about STARS’ operations hands-on through the challenges enabled participants to gain a deeper appreciation of the real-life challenges faced by the STARS medical and aviation crew.
This year’s brave participants include:
- Myrna Wiebe, Senior VP with Access Credit Union
- Justin Phillips, President, Sycamore Energy
- Brad Yochim, Fire Chief, Wallace District Fire Dept.
- Jennifer Blatz, Chief Admin Officer, RM of Ste. Anne
- Dr. Ginette Poulin, Winnipeg Family Physician
- Rhonda Linde, President, Crocus Country Gravel
- Bob Kozminski, President, Mematt Investments Ltd.
- Jim Green, Partner, G-Six Farms
Rescue on the Island has become our largest one-day fundraiser in Manitoba, raising more than $1.4 million in the last five years. The final rescue-style event of the year, CEO Rescue in the Rockies, will take place in Alberta on September 29.